Canada’s seniors helped shape this country. They’ve been there for us, and now we need to be there for them.
Right now, many Canadian seniors are facing significant health, economic, and social challenges because of COVID-19. That’s why Justin Trudeau has announced new measures from the Liberal government to provide greater financial security for seniors to get through this challenging time.
This new support includes:
- Investing $2.5 billion to provide a one-time tax-free payment of $300 for seniors eligible for the Old Age Security pension, and an additional $200 for those eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS). This means up to $500 for seniors who are eligible for both.
- Expanding the New Horizons for Seniors Program, and investing $20 million in financial support for organizations that offer community-based projects to create even more programs across Canada to help seniors maintain or improve their social support network
- Temporarily extending GIS and Allowance payments for qualifying seniors whose 2019 income has not been assessed, to make sure vulnerable seniors continue receiving their benefits when they need them most.
There’s no question that COVID-19 has taken its toll on seniors emotionally and financially. Today’s announcements build on the Liberal government’s previously-announced steps to support Canada’s seniors through the effects of COVID-19, such as:
- Introducing the Canada Emergency Response Benefit for eligible workers, including seniors, who have lost their income as a result of COVID-19
- Providing seniors flexibility with their Registered Retirement Income Funds by reducing minimum withdrawals
- Investments in community organizations that provide immediate essential services, such as the delivery of groceries, medicine, and other needed items.
More than 4 million seniors also benefited from April’s one-time special payment through the GST credit, which provided an average of $375 for single seniors and $510 for senior couples — and the Liberal government has also invested in community organizations that provide practical services to seniors, including the delivery of groceries and medications.
Whether it’s for details on physical distancing, prevention measures, or more, Canada.ca/Coronavirus has the most up-to-date information and resources to help keep you and your loved ones safe and prepared.
Thank you for your support and wishing you and your loved ones all the best,
– Liberal Party of Canada